Friday, February 15, 2008

Climbing Villarica Volcano












I hardly realized the danger as I slid uncontrollably down the slippery side of Villarica Volcano on my stomach. I was unsuccessfully trying to slip into the long ice slide designated for unexperienced climbers to descend the 2,800 meters we had spent 5 hours climbing up in the morning. I hardly realized the danger as I Fortunately, I came to a jolting stop after about six feet as one of the guides grabbed me and wedged his ski poles under my feet to keep me from continuing on a potentially bone-fracturing journey down the side of the mountain. Inching over on my stomach (jabbing the ice pick firmly into the side of the mountain this time), I reached the etched ice canal, and whoosh, I was sliding down the side of the volcano on a ride that beat every water slide or slip-and-slide I had ever attempted as a girl.

About two hours later when we had reached the volcano base, Carly and I sighed with burning blisters covering our feet and exhaustion making our eyes droop. They said this hike was for beginners, we mused. Whether the 1 1/2 hours we enjoyed on the summit was worth it, we were not sure. We had trudged up the steep volcano side through rock, snow, and ice with our eccentric guide Carlos and five other daring climbers. ¨Don´t look up¨was the only policy that kept us going. Atop, a spectacular view of Chile´s Lake District and a huge volcano crater spewing sulfuric gas only feet away awaited us. However, it wasn´t the phenomenal view that made the hike worth it. It was the feeling of peace and sense of satisfaction that comes with facing fears and physical exertion. As Twain famously said, ¨I´m glad I did it, partly because it was well worth it, but chiefly because I must never do it again.¨ In terms of climbing the Villarica Volcano, I agree with Twain.

For more photos from the hike, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home